Saturday, September 1, 2012

Fishing the Umpqua River in Oregon

 Earlier this week we fished a couple stretches of the Umpqua River in Elkton, Oregon.  We used fishing guides that have fished this river for years and knew how to put us in areas that increased our odds for success.  We stayed at the Big K Ranch in Elkton.  Great place!  Highly recommended!

 We fished for two days.  I caught about 50 fish the first day and about 70 the second day.  This was the biggest fish I caught during the trip.  It weighed somewhere between 2.5 to 3.0 pounds.  It was FUN!




 Another smallmouth bass.  We were using Berkley PowerBait and jigging slowly off the bottom.


Smaller fish on day 1.  Another smallmouth Bass.  They are great fighters!!


 
The morning fog on day 2.  Temps hit 70's during the day.  The water was still warm.


 We only saw a couple bald eagles on day 2. The Osprey were all over the river area.


 This is just to prove that I am an honest angler.  Some of the fish that I caught were shrimps!  I should have fed this little guy to the Osprey but I decided to let him go. 


 This is the boat that we floated in on day 2.  Sits high in the water and is easy to manuever.


This is typical of the scenery that we saw floating down the river.  Lots of Douglas Fir trees, maples, and others.  The wild blackberries were very tastey.

Day 2 smallmouth.  My thumb was torn up from lipping 100+ fish as in the picture above.

Well, that's about enough pictues of me and a fish.  Hope I didn't bore anyone too much.

1 comment:

  1. that small one reminds of an old picture on a magazine cover from way back.... :)

    ReplyDelete