Sunday, September 30, 2012

Perfect Fall Fishing on the Broad River

 
Today, September 30th was an excellent fishing day on the Broad River.  I am adding this post mostly so I can document the day and hopefully reproduce the experience in years to come.
We had a full moon last night.  The sky was mostly cloudy with just a slight breeze in the air.  Temps were projected to be in the low 70's for the high.  The water was flowing, but not as fast as I usually experience.  We haven't had much rain over the past couple weeks.  Temps have been generally cool for September compared to normal. 
 This was the second fish of the day.  Caught this one just as I rounded the big island and hit the first set of rapids.  Cought him in the middle of the river, working a top water lure with the current.

 Same fish front view.  This thing attacked my lure fairly close to the kayak.  I thought I was going to lose him in the swift current.  Next time I need to load up with heavier line, just in case.

 Another great view from the front.  Smallmouth bass are as mean as they look!  They were hungry!

 Third fish of the day.  This one also hit a top water lure.  Caught on the top side of the rapids.

 I was fired up.  I have never caught two smallmouth bass this size on the same day. 

 Pulled up to this rock where I normally have a snack and a drink.  I call it "J" rock because it's shaped like a J.  Makes sense doesn't it?

 In total I caught 8 smallmouth bass and about 7 largemouth bass.  Almost all of them were good sized.  It was the best day I ever had fishing for bass.  
 
 Then I started throwing a jerk-bait near and behind fallen timber on the sides of the river.  I landed several large mouth bass.  This was the largest one for sure.  Notice the size of the mouth on this thing?  It's a pretty long fish compared to my shoe but also notice the width.  A nice fat bass!

 This is the slope that I had to pull my boat up to pack up and go home.  It's hard to tell from the picture but it's pretty steep.  Hopefully I have a few more years of being able to do this.  I need to keep working out.........or get wheels for my yak.

 Same largemouth as the previous picture.  Again notice how nice and fat, the white belly and the large mouth compared to the fish in the first picture. I almost lost this fish to an underwater stump.

 Another smallmouth bass.  I love the dark greenish brown color on these fish.
 
Last shot of the yak at J Rock.  I fished from noon until about 5pm.  I never saw another person during the trip.  As far as I am concerned, I like it that way and I hope it stays that way!  This was by far one of the best fishing days of my life.  I probably landed about 15 fish.  But the size and quality of the fish were far better than I had ever caught on this river or any body of water.  All were let go.
Thank God for such a beautiful day and fishing experience! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment