Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Little Winter Work

Hey there!  Just another quick post to let you know what's been going on in my garage the past few weekends.  Yes, I do some things other than fishing.....Really!   I recently cleaned out my garage, built a work bench and organized my tools so that I'm ready to tackle some projects.  See below.


Tire tracks from a vehicle that veered off the driveway and into my yard.   The tire tracks lead directly to my mailbox.  To protect the guilty, I will not name names. 


When I heard all the "book club" ladies out in my yard laughing, I had to go see what all the cackling was about.  I had my suspicions and I was right.  So this little episode was the biginning of some overdue winter projects.  Project #1?  Build a new mailbox.  Built, painted, installed......consider it done! 
While I had all the tools out I decided to dig into project #2.  To build a headboad out of a solid wood antique door.  I think it turned out ok.  Done!!

This idea came from our friend Mary.  She provided the wood doors and Theresa offered my limited woodwoking skills.  Now that I know how to do this, I need to make a duplicate for Mary.  Thanks for the doors, Mary...I think. 


Project #3...just started.  I'm sure most of you have never seen our spare bedroom upstairs.  Well now that we don't have a house full of kids, we are taking some time to dress up this room for future visitors.  On the right side you can see where we tore out a bunch of built-in shelves.  We plan to turn this into some sort of bunk room with a lake theme.  The walls and moulding need serious repair, the carpet has to go, the ceilling needs paint and I need to make some bed frames.  We can fit 6 twin beds in here but we'll probably keep it at 4.  I'll post more pics later as the room takes shape. 
So, the plan is to get a lot of this "indoor work" done before it get's really nice outside.  I have some serious yard plans for this spring so I need to get this room done in the next few weeks.  Plus......it'll be FISHIN' time too!!  


Seems like I always have an "oh by the way" at the end of each post.  So this terse ending is a reminder that tennis league starts next week.  I'll keep you posted on any torn tendons, twisted ankles, and sore muscles as the season progresses.  I need to stock up on BenGay and Aspirin.  Wish me luck!  Later!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Randis! Too bad about that mailbox! Gotta watch those book clubbers! Love the headboard! Turned out great and know the bunk room will look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Randy. A man after my own heart! I love your projects. But, really, I love that a book club mishap started this spiral out of control and into the workshop.

    Thank goodness the tennis league starts up again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Ole Book Club......hmmmmm! This time of year I can usually tackle a few indoor projects. Yes, thank the stars for tennis league! Send pictures of this wall that you want to tear down. PS, Nutella is not trade bait on this one.........ha!

      Delete
  3. Book Club... ie Wine Club.....damage to property....priceless....happy wife = happy hubby...love the headboard too!!

    ReplyDelete