Sunday, February 12, 2012

Yaking in February


Hi there!  It's been a while since my last post so I have a couple topics to catch up on.  As most of you know, I crave the outdoors.  I find nature very interesting as well as a great stress reliever.  When I'm in the woods or on the water I'm not thinking about much else.  So, when we got a break in the February weather (sunny and hovering around 70 degrees) I decided it was time for a little fishing trip.  Normally in the spring, as the water temperatures begin to rise, fish start to move into the shallow water.  They do this for two reasons, 1. They are hungry and they are looking for a good meal.  2. A bit later in the spring they will spawn (have babies, um, actually lay eggs) in the warmer shallow water.  So below are a few shots from the trip.  Didn't catch much but as I said above, that's not the entire objective. 



I paddled up in this shallow cove.  Great places for fish to hide and most boats can't get to these shallow spots.  I think I had a "Little Debby" while I was out of the boat!  Yum!!



Caught this small yellow perch at the end of the day.  I always admire the coloration on fish.  Mostly natures camoflage.  The top fin (dorsal fin) on a fish keeps it from rolling over.  The tail fin propells the fish and the other lower fins are for turning, hovering or swiming backwards.



Theresa gave me a new camera for Christmas that takes underwater photos.  This is my FIRST underwater photo.  I was scared to death to put that camera under the water.  I hope to share better stuff later.

 

I was trying to drift up close to these turtles.  They were enjoying the sun too.  You know when their heads come out like this they are seconds away from taking a swim.  They didn't seem to care for my big green kayak. Note turtle on far right is missing from photo below.



I think the turtle on the far left was the largest and oldest (and most wise).  He was the last one off the log as I got close.  I'm sure he's seen his fair share of dumb kayakers that think they can catch a turtle.



This has nothing to do with my fishing trip.  These are for "my little frens" called squirrels.  They are tearing up my "squirrel proof" birdfeeders.  I am not happy about that!  I like birds.  Squirrels are rats with big tails!

Thanks for reading my stuff.  Hope you enjoyed.  More later today!

1 comment:

  1. you "think" you had a little debbie? sounds like hog wash to me!! love this post!

    ReplyDelete